last week we went to my mother-in-law's office to take her out to lunch, and so she could show Dylan off to her co-workers. when we got there we hopped on the elevator. there were 2 ladies on the elevator and one of them looked incredibly familiar to me, but as always, i couldn't figure out how i knew her. so we go to the office and hang out for a bit and as we were headed out to lunch the ladies from the elevator were there in the same office and stopped to talk to Dylan. almost immediately, the familiar one asked if i had had Dylan at hoag. i said "i knew you looked familiar!" she was one of the nurses on my delivery! she told us (and everyone that was now standing around) how it was her first delivery on her rotation and that it was the most amazing delivery ever. [warning: the bragging really begins here] the lady she was with chimed in when she started talking about me and how i delivered Dylan drug-free (and scream-free at that) and said, "oh that's you? she's mentioned you several times!" i was blushing. anyway, Chad commented on how it is so strange to go through such an intimate moment of your life with people and then never see them again. it was really neat to run into Heather and for her to get to see Dylan now, a year and a half later. here is Heather with Dylan and i.
okay, 3 things...
ReplyDelete1) You did it with no drug, and no scream?! I've never heard of that! INCREDIBLE!
2) Heather looks like she could be your sister!
3) I love that you're updating your blog everyday! :)
oh, and 4) You look beautiful as ever!
Lyndsea, how strange! Heather is one of my mom's closest friends. I've babysat for her quite a few times while she was studying to become a nurse and my mom just had her graduation party (from nursing school) at her house recently. Very cool and you can brag all you want. What a beautiful thing!
ReplyDeleteJill- yes, totally natural. I knew what I wanted going in to it and I stayed strong. It was totally worth it. I kept pretty quiet through the whole (13 1/2 hour) process just trying to concentrate and "breathe through it". I wanted everything to be as natural and calm as possible. It was a wonderful experience.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you-your blogging inspires me! I read it every day. and thank you again- I was feeling like i wasn't looking too great in this photo, but I appreciate your saying that. :)
Joannah- what a small world! I had the greatest team during my delivery, Heather being a part of it. So wonderful to hear someone else that knows her!
You are my hero! Did you research it and all that before and come up with a birthing plan? I've read about other women delivering naturally and it seems like there's a lot of planning involved. I'm considering it if I ever get pregnant.
ReplyDeleteLaura- to be honest, my initial reason for wanting to go drugless was because of my fear of needles. The epidural needle scared me more than the thought of labor. Of course after being poked and prodded tons of times during pregnancy, including weekly IV's towards the end (I was really anemic so I had tons of blood tests done and had to get iron IV treatments) my fear of them has definitely gone way down. As I went into my pregnancy I realized how easy it was to sacrifice unnecessary and/or harmful things for my baby. I really just wanted the whole thing to be as natural as possible. Plus, some say drugs do not affect the baby enough to matter, but as far as I was concerned anything that was going to affect my baby negatively at all was not worth it. I look at it this way: if I won't even put caffeine in my body while pregnant, why would I put a drug in my body, especially one that makes my body numb and unable to actually physically "feel" the birthing of my child? I was realistic going in that I may not be able to do it, but once I got in there, it never crossed my mind. I was dead set on doing it and it became mind over matter. I had a friend that did it a few years before me and I thought, if she can do it, so can I. Okay, so that's my story. I'm so pro-no drugs so I will totally talk about it for hours. However, I cannot say that it is for everyone. Every labor is different. My only thing is that I think everyone should at least give it a shot. I don't like when people say they will get an epidural for sure when they haven't even felt a contraction before. You don't know yet if you'll be able to handle the pain or not! Okay, I'm done. For now. When you get pregnant, we'll sit down and talk and I'll tell you all the gory details. My friend did that with me and it honestly helped me so much to prepare for what to really expect.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I really want to try a natural birth if I ever have a chance to actually have a baby. I will definitely come to you for more info when that time comes.
ReplyDelete